Wednesday, August 27, 2014

All on my own now

Butterfly with Alfons
Pumping water for the sauna
Nämdö Anchored
Sunset with coming rain
Panoramic view with sauna to the far right
Morning all wet
Returning in the rain
Djurö bridge again
Docked all by myself
Gustavsberg Porcelain factory
Factory outlet
Lunch at Gustavsberg harbour
Toilet with 2 sizes for flushing before it's time: 1950
Still raining

After Anna-Maria left and I had had lunch I checked the weather forecast and found out that Tuesday it should rain most of the day but until midnight whether was supposed to be good and no strong winds. So I decided to go to Nämdö just 6 sm south with a sauna hut from Skärgårdstiftelsen ready to use by visitors. I had been there end of June with Linn for the first time and just loved the place. Heading out just me and the boat was no problem then setting sails just took a while and with Alfons (auto pilot) steering for a while I even managed butterfly in the light wind. Max I reached not sailing butterfly anymore but half wind was 4 knots. Just coming to the harbour another sailboat arrived too, I choose the south bay to anchor next to the sauna hut,  but the other sailboat went north. For the current easterly wind the north bay was more sheltered, but during the night wind were to shift to north bio west so my place south was very good for those winds. After pulling the anchor up once to make sure it was not full of seaweed that would compromise it's hold, I was anchored exactly in the middle of the bay all alone. Rowing on shore I started the fire in the sauna, went and picked up water at the well for the sauna and then rowed back to the boat. At the boat I prepared potatoes and packed a grill bag and the grill and rowed back on shore. After the sauna was hot my grill was ready for my sausage slices (falukorv) also. So I altered sauna, grilling and eating, sauna again eating grilled bananas and one last sauna round. Always dipping myself in the clear but cold (15 degrees) water. Then I rowed back to the boat and had a warm shower on the bathing deck. The evening I spent inside with the heater on and in the middle of the night I woke when it started to drizzle. I checked on everything and saw wind had shifted as predicted. Back in my bed it started raining heavy. I had a hard time going back to sleep making lists in my head for the last days and my party on Friday as well as thinking of all the great things that have happened during the last 12 weeks. To get the list thing out of my mind, I got up and got paper and pen to write things down.
Early morning I got up it was drizzling again rowed on shore and cleaned both the sauna as well as my grill before returning to the boat. After a coffee and a banana for breakfast I headed back to Bullandö in the rain. As soon as I left wind shelter waves build up and rain came sideways. Handling my GPS become difficult with all raindrops competing with my finger. I had to get the dish rag wiping the surface off repeatedly. With this technique all went well. I motored all the way back seeking lee, so going back ended up being 7 sm.
Docking went well even if I was alone, preparing all fenders just had to be done in due time while Alfons steered. Since the forecast was rain all day I just stayed in my complete gear and took the bus to Gustavsberg. Here I first had lunch at a great Café at the harbour. Now my cultural rain program started with a visit to the porcelain museum and then the porcelain outlet store. Gustavsberg Porcelain is known for table sets, figurines and white goods especially toilets. In their exhibition there was a toilet with 2 separate nobbs for a big and small flush. The sign above the toilet said this had been a product that they had tried for the Danish market 1950 that had been refused. I find it amusing to see that that concept that the Gustavsberg designers tried to introduce failed, because they were 40-50 years before their time. Today 2 different flush sizes are common and accepted.
I felt a bit soothed with fate, knowning how often ideas I have had or my fellow designers have been rejected. Hopefully we are just ahead of our time!
After my return to the boat I made an omelet for dinner almost getting seasick while cooking, boat even in the harbour was rocking heavily due to the strong wind.


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment