Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wednesday to strong winds to go out

Stockholm
Lunch at Fotografiska Museet
Topping it off with Latte and Kardemumma Bulle
Looking for used childrens books
My uncle Johan his wife Lill and I

I woke up to sunshine again, but wind was very strong, so instead of taking Alfons on a ride with Sofia II,  I took the bus to Stockholm for some culture input and strolling. So my first stop after getting off at Slussen was Fotografiska Museet which again had stunning exhibits. After taking all that in I treated myself to another one of those delicious shrimp salads they have here. I noticed though that my joy over such a dish has decreased, because during my summer it has been regularly on my menu. It is like everything that is scarce you want more of but when you get it it becomes common! Sad actually, but logical.

I had called my uncle Johan to see if we could meet some of these days when I was between Bullandö and Stockholm. First we had discussed me visiting Thursday, but now I had a full day pass so I called to see if I could drop by. My solution was perfect, since both Wendsday and Thursday now he had glasfiber installed and needed to overlook their work. So we agreed me coming by at 17h.

After the museum I went shopping a bit and browsing for used childrens books. Also buying a SD card for my phone to store all pictures I have from my adventure.
16.55 o'clock in a very Swiss way I arrived at my uncles house. I quickly learned that Liil had prepared to treat me to dinner with freshly picked mushrooms. First though I got a lengthy and very interesting update on family history dating back to 1800. In between there I learned that my grandfather (dad's dad also my uncle's dad ;-)) Carl was the youngest of 6 children and that 3 of his older sisters had had an academic degree, his oldest brother 14 older was a known pharmacist in Stockholm even writing books. Very fascinating, seems they all were strong independent personalities.He showed me photo with the whole family and my grandfather Carl just 3 years old on his mums lap.
My uncle knowns so much that it is hard to pin down all the information he shares.
After a while especially when Lill joined the conversation I could get more current information out of him. For example my godfather Nore also my uncle, my dad was second youngest of 4 boys. Johan is the youngest and my older uncles have already passed away. But Nore studied medicine in Munich and then Basel. Carl Fredrik the oldest studied in Sweden, but worked at the Inselspital Bern in the early 1970ies for 3 years. My grandparents when retired (dad's parents) spent their winters living in Avenue des Peupliers, 1009 Pully close to Lausanne. I remember visiting my grandma there after we had moved to Germany and she died there too, if I am not mistaken.

Strange to find so many ties to Switzerland in the past of my dad's family.

After an excellent dinner with cheese and fruits to finish it off I headed back to Bullandö.

null
Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment