Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Needing some rescue help again

Waking up to this after a rainy night

Double seats on the dry toilet

Sofia II probably most photographt motiv

Like a tale

Beautiful colors at Jungfruskär

Christin in lee of the island rolling main in

Spot rescue boat far away in the middle

Rescue boat with Helge and helper

Safely on our way to Smådalarö Gård Gästhamn

Chilling in the lounge

Chilling and WiFi

Herb garden at Smådalarö

Our boat tied up next to sauna

Enjoying sauna and swimming

Great dinner at the restaurant

This now needs repaired, this is what it should look like

This is missing pieces

This was the root cause

Smådalarö Gård hotel

So winds for yesterday were predicted to be up to 13 m/s very much actually,  but we only needed to go half wind 10 sm to get to the next very sheltered harbour for the night when winds would pick up even more.
So after breakfast, swimming and a stroll around the island, seeing an sea eagle fly over the shore, we got going just after noon. Christin did everything just right leaving our anchor place and getting the anchor band rolled up quickly. I noticed we were drifting quickly even without sails in the bay making me aware we definitely had more wind than the day before.
After passing the narrow passage out safely from Jungfruskär I motored the first 20 minutes against the waves and we got our first spray wave showers. Then changing course west wards I let Christin roll out the Genoa,  but we healed so heavily that I let her roll it back in which was a long heavy project for Christin.
We needed to go slightly north west to round an island to head on west across Jungfrufjärden.
The first big wave hitting us slightly sideways made the boat keel as under sails. We were having some waves bigger than 2 meters. Noticing this I managed to steer so big waves pushed us from directly behind and with the motor on I almost got a surf feeling as sailing Fireball with spinnaker. On Jungfrufjärden going south of the lighthouse Fjärdhällen I wanted to set the main reefed to go better through the waves. So we rolled the main out while I held the boat in the wind. When Christin wanted to reduce by rolling it back in, that did not work. I knew one of us could walk up to the mast and try to do it manually there,  but we had waves by now over 2-3 meters high. I did not want to risk something happening to Christin nor did I want to risk something happening while I did it and Alfons was steering.
So I decided I wanted to make use of my sea rescue membership calling for help. While I was on the phone the mainsail got loose at the end you pull it outwith, starting to fly like a flag. The rescue guy ordered me to go north and find wind shelter behind the Husaren islands north of the lighthouse. It took us about 45 minutes to get to the lee side and there the water was so calm that Christin suggested to go to the mast and manually winch the sail in. She did and it worked! Just when we were finished we spotted the rescue boat approaching. We could inform them that we were OK now and they instructed me how to best get to Smådalarö Gård guestharbour.

Just before Christin and I arrived at the harbour the mainsail rolled out again by itself, but Christin knew what to do and we were in a lee position of an island.

Now finally we got through the just 7m wide passage leading to Smådalarö Gård guestharbour and tied up at the pier in front of the hotel. Safely fast I inspected the damage and while doing so suddenly Helge our rescuer in his cut off jeans came to see how we were doing and find out my personalities for his report. He confirmed that sailing reefed under the conditions was completely doable and would have been more comfortable through the waves than motoring.
I thanked him, because without his instructions finding lee behind the islands Husaren, I probably would not have come up with that solution, beeing to focused to get where I was heading.
After he left, Christin and I went up to the hotel payed our harbour fee, reserved for dinner and had a coffee and tea in their nice lounge.
Felt good to just let the hair down for a while after the adventure on the water.
During the night it was stormy and raining, but here in the harbour we are perfectly safe.
I am now finishing this after enjoying a great breakfast buffet at the hotel and am completely stuffed.
We head north today with still strong south westerly winds, let's see how far we go after I try to repair the mainsail problem.

Posted via Blogaway Sjöräddning  Sjöräddning  


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment