Friday, August 22, 2014

Two calmer last sailing days

Christin removing fender
Winds from behind, easy
Easier sailing but chilly and sunny
Great spot in Gällnö
Gällnö impression
Calling the family with FaceTime
Evening sun
Leftovers for dinner
Watching for falling stars and finishing my book
Morning again after some rain
Exploring Gällnö
Coffee bags
Where to go?
God use of a bouy
Finally some blueberries again
So nice to be together
Toilet hart knitted
On our way to Grinda
Nice old wood boat as neighbor in Grinda
Lunch - Fishburger
Grinda Värdshus
Awsome interior
Little food thief
Lunch sky in Grinda
Back at Bullandö, Djurö bridge
Wonderful fish soup at Bullandö Krog
Our new friends: Klara och Anna
Bounty leaving

Still without spare parts we left Malma Kvarn after a very thorough cleaning of the refrigerator heading north with south westerly winds. Hardly any sail adjustment and maneuver was needed for the first hours. But when we arrived at Stavsnäs and needed to go through a narrow passage between islands wind once forced the boat to luff, that we took the mainsail down. When we were passed Djurö bridge we set it again enjoying a great run across Karlholmsfjärden. I wanted us to end up at the island Gällnö in the harbour book praised for its very authentic village for the night, but we took the scenic way there between islands doing additional 4 sm.
Almost exhausted but very satisfied after a great day with 21 sm in easier conditions than the days before, we made a perfect docking towards rocks for the night.
Dinner was easy just warming up previous nights leftovers and make a sallad. Then we enjoyed the sunset painting the village in gold and sleeping bags out we sat outside and saw the night sky surface with all stars. Magnificent and a new experience for me since June and July still had such short light nights.

The next morning we rowed over to the village to explore the bigger island and we even found blueberries again.
For lunch I wanted us to visit another island near by: Grinda.
 Grinda  
What a lovely place this was reachable also with the ferry from Stockholm. Definitely want to return and test their sauna with a hatch to jump into the water within the sauna itself!
We had a late lunch at the harbour restaurant and then learned for a cappuccino we needed to go to the Värdshus. Absolutely a gorgeous place apparently build by the first director of the Nobelprize organization.
Not until 16 we managed to leave for our last bit back to Bullandö. Here while sailing the wind picked up to our lines howling again and got very gusty. For the passage that became more and more narrow we also needed to tack in short sequences, so Christin build her arm muscles up!
After one nasty gust we took the mainsail down and had just the Genoa up. I saw a smaller sailboat under motor crawling up on us with a collision potential. In Sweden you never know if people know the rules on the water, since everyone is allowed to buy and sail without a license. So this boat proved me right on being skeptical. They squeezed themselves in front of my bow me struggling with gusts that got me from 4 to 6 knots quickly. I just couldn't believe they were doing it and steered into the wind when they were just in front of me! I yelled and called them names both in German as well as Swedish! What they did was dangerous and luckily I know what I was doing!
I managed to calm down just by the time we arrived in Bullandö. After docking we immediately set out to the showers and sauna to warm up.
Friday evening seemed to be popular for exactly that activit y especially for families.
First we had a French lady with 3 girls in the sauna, then a Swedish family with 3 daughters that ended up questioning me and via me also Christin. Anna the youngest who will start school now was really keen on chatting with me. In the dressing room Christin and I ended up with just the 3 girls who had to monitor that Anna finally concentrated on getting dressed rather than chatting with me. Klara oldest we learned goes to an English school, so she started a conversation with Christin.
I had to invite them to our boat to give them my blog details after this refreshing encounter!
I did invite them to come and visit me in Switzerland, hope they understand I meant it!
After this we went and had dinner at Bullandö Krog.
I did not sleep well tonight, which is an exception, so I got up early writing this.
While sitting here at the harbour I noticed Germans preparing their old wood sailboat Bounty apparently build 1931 in the US.
They wanted to leave but still needed to pay their harbour fee for the last days, so I offered to do that for them since doesn't open until 9 and it was 7 in the morning.
I have a lot of cash now in front of me...


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment