Saturday, September 27, 2014

What I miss and don't miss

Just sailing gear
Beautiful sunset
Great cooking
Räksmörgås
Chicken game
Food, yummy!
Weber grill on my balcony

I sit in the sun on my balcony after having been sick and in bed most of the week, finally over the worst.
My balcony reminds me of the boat especially when the sun is out and I can enjoy the sunset. Martin got me the Weber grill that stands next to me that we had on the boat.

So I miss the water and ending up in a beautiful natural harbour with nature surrounding me. But I do not miss the responsibility to check the weather forecast at least 2-3 times a day and having to worry, if the wind shifts over night and is the boat safe.   A few times I set the alarm to check on the boat in the middle of the night, it was always all right, but could have been otherwise.

I miss the great company I always had on the boat, the camaraderie of cooking, doing dishes, going grocery shopping, playing games and sailing together. Here in Solothurn I am alone in my flat and it feels empty after months of company. What I do enjoy being back though is just going shopping, just tuning a DVD on to watch, having reception basically everywhere.

I do not miss the bathroom routine on the boat with pumping and plastic bags for the toilet paper. That is a relief being back and just being able to use the knob for flushing.

I do miss showering on deck with awsome views, swimming and having access to a sauna almost in every harbour. I think my average on going to the sauna was 3 times a week mostly with swimming, so that stopped now and feels like something is missing.

I start to miss Räksmörgås (shrimp sandwich) again, which I actually had had so much of that I started to avoid ordering it the last weeks. Usually that is one of the first dishes I try to order when I have crossed into Scandinavia.

I do miss the weekly routine with crew change on Saturday and washing my clothes and cleaning the boat. Here at home the flat seems so big and takes so much more time to tidy up. Also cleaning alone is very boring.

I do and also don't miss the simple dress code that I had on the boat. Just functional gear according to the weather forecast. I hardly ever looked in the mirror worrying how I looked. But functional clothes leave little room to express who you are and what mood you are in, so I like to have my wardrobe back. Only I notice now I have to check in the mirror if my hair sits right and if my earings match. So much more to think about!


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment