Sunday, August 10, 2014

So aggrieved: Touching ground twice in a day

Illy cappuccino
Lunch at Fejsan with boats at pier
Fejsan restaurant again
Lovisa at the helm
Evening sailing
Sun setting Norrpadda
Sunset at Norrpadda
Docked with heck anchor
Mia in most of her gear

Finally my sisters have arrived and having them on the boat with Anna is great and emotional! We ended up taking late first night as well as last night about our lives and experiences as young adults and in our marriages 2 of which have failed and other struggles.

Another emotional thing happening yesterday was now after 10 weeks of sailing I feel I should not go on ground anymore, but I actually did it twice yesterday in one day, very frustrating and humbling!
So how did it happen? First slight ground scraping and a big surprise to me was backing away from the gas station pier in Arholma after having passed almost the exact same spot a few times before and not seeing anything marked neither in my paper sea chart nor in my harbour book, but actually something marked in the GPS chart. A scraping sound suddenly was loudly emphasized through the boat and I quickly put the gas from reverse into forward and moved back towards where I came from. We had not had much speed just backing from the pier,  but I got worried that the rudder had been hit so when we were later on open water about 20 minutes later in very fair winds north of Arholma, I got my diving goggles on and lowered my head under water at the bathing ladder to check on the rudder. It looked just fine!
The second ground touching was arriving at a bay we wanted to anchor at in Norrpadda. In my harbour book they warned about a stone in the center in the entrance 0,9m below sea level so that one I was very aware of. Additionally I had very detailed sea charts "hydrographiska" for this area. A bit confusing was that my GPS chart showed 4 additional stones that neither the harbour book nor hydrographiska showed. One of these turned out to be a real stone at the harbour entrance to the west close to the shoreline,  because we scraped it with our keel on our second approach to the harbour just beeing prepared for our anchor maneuver. Luckily also here we were very slow and were free immediately after backing.
But these two experiences in one day are very humbling! Also confusing that the GPS seems to have the rocks somehow marked, but with no reference to how deep exactly they sit under the water level. None of my paper charts refers to the stones I found neither,  shucks! So I feel a bit betrayed too!
All in all I am thankful that neither the boat nor we on it got hurt!

Well back to more pleasant things that happened yesterday. We started with Yoga on the pier of Dansbanan under Mia's instructions in sunshine after it had rained in the morning. What a privilege it was to do the sun salutations in such a beautiful setting!
After breakfast and everybody getting their lifewest adjusted and fitted, we did a perfect gas station pier maneuver that I even needed to change on them because my plan to back up to the pier was not possible with the wind conditions.

Later we sailed and motored to Fejsan and had lunch at their harbour pier restaurant. At this pier we docked with a perfect heck bouy pier maneuver directly in front of the restaurant. Also here my all female crew performed wonderfully!

We finished our lunch at Fejsan with Italian Illy cappuccino. So good to have a real good one again, that is something I miss living on a boat having great cappuccino or espresso regularly.

Leaving Fejsan around 17h we wanted to go south additional 9 sm to Norrpadda for the night which we accomplished by sailing and tacking. After my ground touching in the bay, we also here with the help of our neighbor boat did another great maneuver docking towards rocks.

Another wonderful evening with a lot of chatting and dinner passed in a gorgeous place!
I feel very blessed!


Posted via Blogaway

No comments:

Post a Comment